PSS TYPE A SHAFT SEAL
From $ 300 to $ 2650 USD
- For power and sailboats, for shafts from ¾” (20mm) up to 3 – 3/4” (95mm) The packless sealing system (PSS) shaft seal is a mechanical face seal created between a rotating stainless steel rotor and a stationary carbon stator.
- The carbon stator is attached to a convoluted rubber bellow and the back of the bellow is attached to the shaft log (stern tube) of the boat with hose clamps.
- During installation, the stainless-steel rotor is used to compress the convoluted bellow. the stainless-steel rotor is used to compress the convoluted bellow. The compression of the bellow allows the seal faces to remain in constant contact while compensating the fore and aft movement of the shaft caused by the propellers thrust pushing on the engine mounts.
- The carbon stator is bored slightly larger than the shaft diameter, allowing it to “float” around the shaft and compensate for most misalignment and vibration problems
- The stainless-steel rotor is sealed to the shaft with O-rings. This O-rings rotate with the shaft and rotor and do not experience any wear during operation.
- The static O-ring seal enables the PSS shaft seal to be fit on shafts that have some wear and pitting, unlike lip seal designs which require a clean area for the lip seal to ride on. This type of carbon seal is not as sensitive to the interruption of water flow or operating in silty water, when compared to other sealing options. This type of carbon seal is not as sensitive to the interruption of water flow or operating in silty water, when compared to other sealing options.
- This seal will satisfy most applications for pleasure boats and smaller commercial boats.
A hose barb is recommended for vessels exceeding 10 knots
An additional shaft retention collar can be fitted to protect the propeller shaft. This device assists in keeping the shaft in the boat in the event of coupling failure. Due to its simple design the SRC is very easy to install with the shaft in place. Available to fit shafts from 1”( 25 mm )to 3” (80 mm).
Dimensions & measurements
¾” (20 mm) to 3 ¾” (95 mm): Shaft diameters
1 ¼”(30 mm) to 6” (152mm): Stern tube diameters
6”(152mm) to 9.863” (250mm): Approx. compressed length
5 to 225 F (-15 C to 107 C): TEMPERATURE LIMITS
15 PSI (1 BAR ): PRESSURE LIMITS
10.000 RPM: SHAFT RPM LIMITS
LAPPED TO 4 HLB (0.000044” TOLERANCE) CARBON GRAPHITE
FACED TO 9 Ra: 316 SS / NITRONIC 50
MOLDED NITRILE PVC: BELLOW MATERIAL
What makes this product special?
- PSS Type A shaft seal is a worldwide quality proven product, with over 200.000 units in operation all over the world
- SEVERAL COMMERCIAL VESSELS HAVE RECORDED OVER 40.000 (4 – ½ YEARS OF CONTINUOUS OPERATION) ENGINE HOURS ON THE SAME ORIGINAL COMPONENTS. Related products